Thursday, January 15, 2009

Oh the JOYS of homeownership

Friday I noticed a funny looking spot in the texture under a cabinet on our kitchen wall. I reach out to feel it to see if it's just some sticky splatter and the wall SINKS IN! Not a good sign. I continue feeling around the area, trying to comprehend, and more places sink in. I'm now making craters all over the wall and decide I'd better leave alone until Brandon gets home. After I show him the damage we start trying to think of the source of water leakage. Our master bath is right above, but there's no damage near the ceiling. We start looking in the cabinet to see if there's any water in there. We then notice a screw in direct line with the main damage. Brandon looks up pictures we took of the wall before it was dry walled. The drain from our bath runs right along there and the cabinet installer screwed right into it! We take down the cabinet and behind it is a sheet of mold.

This thing had been leaking for almost a year and a half, but the cabinet was sealing it mostly in place. When we cut into the drywall we find that he screwed not once, but twice into the pipe. So, one hole was semi plugged by the screw, but the second was draining freely into the wall. Brandon patched the pipe and sprayed bleach on anything he couldn't pull out. We're now waiting for it to dry out so we can put our wall back together. If anyone has some drywall scraps we could sure use them!Ben was so concerned about something being wrong with his house. At first he kept telling us to get a towel to wash the mess. Now he just tells me that Daddy made the wall messy and needs to fix it. He likes things just so, and this is definitely messing with him.

6 comments:

Kamille said...

Oh no! That is awful! I'm so sorry that you are going to have to deal with that. Good luck!

Kori said...

Danielle, this is your cousin Kori, I'm so sorry to see the pictures of your house. I sympathize with you about 6 months after moving into my new house I notice this strange blemish in our hall upstairs and went through the same thing you did. Luckily for us we were still under warranty time so Ivory had to come out and fix all of it. I wish people who worked in construction would build every house as if they were going to live in it so maybe they would be a little more cautious about what they did.

Gough Clan said...

Oh I am so sorry. I hope you get back to normal soon. I am glad that you found it before it got worse.

Marcie said...

That is horrible. I am so sorry. Your poor new beautiful home. Good luck on getting it fixed.
I've finally got my blog going...FINALLY!! There's not much on it yet, but hopefully I'll have some pics on it by this weekend. I feel so old, I can't figure this whole "blogspot" thing out. I have to have my 15 yr old sister help me. :o)

Jeremy and Laura said...

Hey Danielle I found your blog through marcie's, and just wanted to say hello. I can't believe your little boy is getting so big, and now you have an adorable little girl. You sure have a cute family. It seems like yesterday when you moved.

Courtney said...

Hey, that is just sick! Stupid people. I hope you guys get it fixed fairly quickly.

Now you have a link to my blog, although you'll probably hear more about my life over the phone rather than here since I do good at posting then I slack off for a while.